Discipline to be a Disciple

I don’t remember when I made the connection between the words “discipline” and “disciple”, because they didn’t occupy the same space in my head.  Discipline was something that happened to you when you got in trouble for doing something you shouldn’t (which probably says more about my psychology than I want to admit) and a disciple was a student – particularly of Jesus.  Those two things were very different to me, so I didn’t connect them until it was pointed out to me that a disciple takes on the discipline of his or her teacher.  This was sometimes referred to as a “yoke” (more on that later).

Suddenly the term “discipline” became much more positive a word for me and made a lot more sense in the idea of learning a skill or aptitude – the discipline of karate or chemistry or tatting.  It takes a lot of practice and endurance get good at any skill, and part of the discipline is to keep at it, especially in the face of setbacks, roadblocks, even tragedies.  Jesus’ disciples were both the best and worst examples of discipline one can find.  The Gospels are filled with stories of their faith and disbelief, of their desire to follow Jesus as well as their desertion.  And yet their stories are told.  We know that their faith prevailed because of their discipline to follow Jesus, a discipline that has been passed onto us and one we just choose to take on as our own.

Discipline as been on my mind a lot over the past several months as I have been on a journey to become the healthiest version of myself.  I don’t particularly like exercising or watching everything I eat, but I know it is a discipline that has given me the results I want and reinforced my behavior.  Should I indeed succeed in reaching my good weight, the next part of the discipline is maintaining what I have accomplished, which always seems to be the more challenging aspect for people, including me.  But I have more knowledge of life and myself than I did before, so I pray I will adjust accordingly.

Back to what I mentioned above about how disciplines were sometimes referred to as “yokes”.  You may read this passage from Matthew’s Gospel a bit differently: “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” (Matt 11: 28-30)

Without discipline, it is hard to know where to start to take on life – it can feel overwhelming – like a kid in a candy store.  It all seems so great, until you get sick from all the sugar and there is no protein to fortify your body.  Taking on Jesus’ yoke is life changing because it offers order, focus, meaning and joy.  His yoke is not onerous because it is designed to help us, not hinder us.  It is freeing and life giving if we are willing to surrender our will to God’s will - which soon becomes our own.

I know that my health discipline has helped me be a better disciple and vice versa. I pray you find discipline in your discipleship as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Poem

Give God the Glory

A Sloppy Track