That wonderful and sacred mystery

I am a proud graduate of The General Theological Seminary of the Episcopal Church.  Some of you may be aware that that beloved institution has had a difficult and troubling week.  I do not know all the specifics of the situation, but I do know that 8 faculty members sent a letter to the students last Friday (Sept. 26th) stating that they informed the Board of Trustees that after several failed attempts to negotiate with the Dean and President they would no longer teach, attending meetings or worship without a meeting with the Board in order to address problems they have with the leadership of the Dean, who has been in the position about a year. 
On Tuesday (Sept. 30th), the Board sent out a letter stating that, after much consideration, they have taken the letter as the resignations of these faculty members, though they are willing to talk with any faculty member that wishes to reconsider his or her position.
To say the least, my heart is breaking.  I loved my time at General and feel that I am the priest I am today because of the formation I received from and through that institution.  I don’t know enough about the particulars in order agree with one side or the other, nor do I feel called to.  What I want to say in a still, small voice is that, as Christians, we are to seek reconciliation – God’s full healing of relationships – and I don’t see that happening.  I could be wrong, but I see no real dialogue and a lot of finger pointing. 
I have intentionally used the word “institution” in referring to General because that is what it is – a human-made structure that is as broken as the humans who create it.  I do not worship the institution, but I do recognize that if engendered many grace-filled moments, nurtured my broken faith, formed me as a minister and challenged me to seek Christ in all places and in all times.  Yet, as demonstrated by recent events, this institution is broken, though I pray not irrevocably.
I don’t believe in change for the sake of change, and perhaps there has been too much change at General over the past year.  I have not been there so I don’t know.  I do know change is inevitable and ignoring it only makes one (eventually) irrelevant.   Engaging in fruitful change takes much time and energy.  From my quite limited point of view, there seems to be a lack of both.
As the entire Episcopal Church is seeking new ways of understanding how to be faithful disciples of Christ in the 21st Century, I hope our discussions are more fruitful and affirming than this complete breakdown.  As an Easter people, we do believe in life after death, so I hold fast to the hope that new life will come soon.  In the meantime, we need to continue to seek Christ in all things and not vilify the “other.”
Please pray for the Board, Dean, students, staff and ALL faculty members of The General Theological Seminary.
In Christ,

Rev. Valerie+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give God the Glory

A Christmas Poem

A Sloppy Track