Smell the Leaves!

I love autumn.  It is my favorite time of year as nature puts on a show of sights and smells.  From the colors of the leaves to the smell of leaves on the ground (yes, I like that!), plus the cooler temperatures, I enjoy God’s wondrous creation. What is even more awe-some is that there is nothing that humans can do to make all of this happen.  It is an established pattern that plays out year after year over which we have no control.  While I am sure there are some that wish they could control the falling of the leaves when and where that happens – I believe the subtle variations each year remind us who the Creator is, and that it isn’t us!
Such insight should garner both our gratitude and acceptance of the created order.  As part of that order, we need to understand our place within it rather than trying to work above or around it.  No longer can we separate what humans do in our daily lives as if it doesn’t matter “in the long run” on how creation works.  We cannot control the weather, but we have to admit that many of our actions have affected our weather patterns, increasing the occurrence of severe storms and draughts.
We cannot appease ourselves by thinking that anything we do as individuals is not enough to make a difference.  The changes that we are experiencing took years to manifest, so any changes we make that benefit creation, regardless how small we think they are, will be significant if we take the long view.  Also, when we change harmful habits for good ones and teach those good habits to others, suddenly we are not along in our efforts and hopeful for the future.
We have a long what to go.  Economics wins over nature too often.  Saving money or making money cannot be our only measure about if something is a good idea or way of doing things.  It is easy to say we want to take care of our environment until becomes cost ineffective. This when we need to remember that we are part of creation, not the Creator, and as the Creator’s stewards, we are been entrusted with a sacred duty to use all our resources not only for our benefit but the benefit of all creation. 
Recently I was posed with a situation where I had to decide if I would take the convenient way or the ecologically-minded way.  Would I drive an extra hour so as not to be inconvenienced or would I used that time in another way so as to not use the gas?  I choose not to use the gas because it would have been a waste.  It is a small example of how every day decisions can remind us of the bigger picture.
I want to enjoy the changes of autumn for the rest of my life and I want those who come after me to enjoy them as well.  Ensuring that happens begins with a commitment to our Creator to live in harmony with all creation each and every day.
In Christ,

Rev. Valerie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give God the Glory

A Christmas Poem

A Sloppy Track