Meeting of the Minds (or at Least the Anglican Primates)

This week, the Primates (a term for a bishop ranking first among the bishops of a province or country) from 38 countries who claim origin to the Anglican Church have gathered in Canterbury, England at the invitation of the Archbishop of Canterbury, The Most Rev. and Right Honourable Justin Welby.  Our Presiding Bishop, The Most Rev. Michael Curry, is attending on behalf of The Episcopal Church.  Part of the agenda for this meeting is to discuss and discern the future of the Anglican Communion, which has been in flux over the past decade or so over the disagreement about the ordination of women and homosexuals, as well as a doctrine about homosexuality.

There was deep concern that, as the meetings began on Monday, those who disagree with ordaining women and homosexuals would offer their opinion and then leave the meeting. Responding to the press about the desire for reconciliation among the member churches, ABC Welby said, "Certainly I want reconciliation, but reconciliation doesn't always mean agreement — in fact it very seldom does. It means finding ways to disagree well and that's what we've got to do this week," Welby told the BBC. "There's nothing I can do if people decide that they want to leave the room. It won't split the communion."

“Find a way to disagree well.” That phrase piques my interest because I think that is what we are really bad at in this day and age.  I saw entirely too many blogs and Facebook posts prior to Christmas about how to survive the holidays while dealing with people you fundamentally disagree with on many topics. Our social rhetorical as devolved into demonizing the “other’s” position as “stupid, irrelevant drivel.”  We have lost all respect for difference of opinion and have lost the art of nuanced argument.  We do not know how to “disagree well” when we can only think in absolutist terms. 

I believe that God is much bigger than that.  I have my believes and positions on many topics, but I always remind myself that I could be wrong, or at least not completely right (whatever that means).  I want to make room for the possibility I don’t know everything, because I don’t.  None of us does, not even Google.  My faith, particularly as I have learned it through the Baptismal Covenant, instructs me to “respect the dignity of every human being,” not just the ones who agree with me.  Disagreeing well is an opportunity to live into the difficult task of “loving our neighbors as ourselves.” It is a time to seek Christ in all persons, not a time to claim the devil has possessed them.

In fact, that is an easy out and an opportunity for a quick laugh.  It denies the chance for real dialogue and relationship to happen.  However, getting to that point takes TIME, which is an extremely precious commodity.  It seems easier to dismiss quickly the opposing point of view rather than offer some time to actually listen.  And to further the sin, because there is not much time to articulate an argument, the most inflammatory language is used when it is detrimental.

I have been praying for the Primates as they have met, not only to take advantage of the blessed opportunity of time together, but to use it well.  While I would love for the Anglican Communion to continue in some way, it may have to change.  But that does not mean we cannot still look for opportunities to help others in need around the world.  It does not mean the end of relationships that have been built over the centuries.  It does not deny that Jesus Christ is the Redeemer and Savior of all, regardless of our doctrinal differences. 


Yes, I believe in the Holy Scriptures, but I also believe God continues to reveal God’s image in our human experience.  I treasure our tradition, but I look to be informed by the needs of today’s society to discern where God is calling us to seek and serve God’s children – the sick, the lost, the hungry and lonely.  This is where we as a church can do the most on behalf of God, and I pray our Primates will find a way to “disagree well” so we can get back to work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give God the Glory

A Christmas Poem

A Sloppy Track