Answered Prayer

As a faithful Christian, prayer is an important part of my life, so I should not be surprised when my prayers are answered, and yet there are times that I am.  Last Tuesday I was summoned to the hospital as Carolyn Hales was taken there after vomiting up blood.  When I saw her, she said that she was tired and wanted to be with God.  I laid hands on her and offered her ultimate unction, sometimes referred to as “last rites,” asking for forgiveness of her sins and final healing, i.e. death.  I asked others who have been walking this journey with Carolyn to pray for final healing as well, for her to be released from pain and suffering and to be at peace.

Carolyn died 3 days later.  Our prayers were answered.  I am relieved that she is no longer suffering and she is at rest, yet there is a part of me that is surprised it happened so fast.  My mind knew that Carolyn was ready to die, to be received into her Savior’s arms, but my heart wanted more time.  I freely admit it was a selfish desire and one I had to let go of when I learned of her death. I give thanks for her life and for her death as she is now free from suffering.  I am comforted in my grief that Carolyn knew it was time and our prayers were offered to support her.

Some may be surprised that I asked prayers for final healing, that perhaps it shows a lack of faith to not pray for physical healing.  We need to remember that our mortal bodies are not made to last forever. They are made to wear down and eventually stop working, just like other machines.  Rather than fight a natural process when all reasonable measures have been taken, essentially making physical life an idol to be worshiped for itself, it is more grace-fulled to be open to spiritual healing, enabling us to follow God’s will, even if we are afraid. 

Perhaps what we fear the most is dealing with how of lives will change without that person with us. It is an unknown reality, especially if that person was an integral part of our lives. We must learn to live differently, which most of us don’t want to do.  It is part of the grieving process. It takes time – and prayer.

We say in the Eucharistic Prayer at a funeral, “For to your faithful people, O Lord, life is changed, not ended, when our mortal body lies in death.”  This reminds us that the experience of death for the one who has died is different from what we can understand.  I am comforted by the knowledge given to us through Jesus Christ that the life we experience does not end in physical death.  We don’t know exactly what eternal will be like, but we are assured that God will be with us always.  It is not a bad thing to offer to a loved one, like Carolyn, who had experienced this life and was ready for the life to come. 

I know that God hears my prayers and that the power of prayer is real.  It is a blessing when God’s will and my will expressed in prayer are in sync, since the result is witnessing answered prayer. 

Rest in peace, dear Carolyn, and rise in glory.

In Christ,

Rev. Valerie+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Christmas Poem

Give God the Glory

A Sloppy Track