Cowabunga!

A couple of weeks ago, our Minister of Music, Thomas Williams, chose the song “Give me oil in my lamp” for the Gradual song before the Gospel Reading Luke 12:32-40, where Jesus mentions bridesmaids and their lamps.  It was a fun song that I don’t remember singing before, but it seemed that several people at church did.

Well, this week we are supporting the Jesus Way Day Camp from Crossroads being held at our longtime partners in ministry, Christ the King Lutheran Church. Lo and behold – what song do they sing? “Give me oil in my lamp!”  However, like any good Christian camp song, it has a couple of extra verses in it that are a bit different from what we sang during worship.

“Give me wax for my board to keep me surfin’ for the Lord. Cowabunga!”

“Give me gas for my Ford to keep me truckin’ for the Lord. Honk Honk!”

As you might imagine, the kids love the silliness of these verses (and hand motions, of course), but more importantly, they are learning about the joy of faith.  This is critical for all of us in our Christian Formation, to seek and find God’s presence in plain, old FUN! 

Even as adults, with the all serious concerns and responsibilities of life, we need to find ways and make time to just enjoy God's presence. That can be in laughing at ourselves, enjoying children playing, or being in God's awesome Creation.  It is a good reminder to find God's joy in order to balance everything else. 

Day Camp has been a great experience so far.  The counselors from Crossroads have been great with endless enthusiasm, patience and encouragement for the kids.  Their love of Jesus is obvious in all they do and how they interact with the kids.  They want to share the love of Christ – and for camp!

The kids have been getting into the songs, Bible stories, games and water play – refreshing on a hot day. If you would like to see what they have been doing this week, ALL are invited to come to Christ the King on Thursday at 3 PM to see a program presented for friends and family.  Since we won’t have the traditional service celebrating the end of Vacation Bible School, this is your opportunity to see what the kids have been up to this week and enjoy their enthusiasm. 

The Vestry and I thank you very much for your support of this program and others that help support people beyond our congregation, like the Youth Mission Trip, Elijah’s Promise and Christ Church Food Pantry.  All of these are important ways to practice our faith beyond the walls of our Sanctuary.

I will be starting my vacation on Monday and will return on September 13th, ready for joy of the Fall.

In Christ’s Love,

Rev. Valerie+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sloppy Track

A Christmas Poem

Advent Wreath