Addiction

As a child of the 80s, I remember hearing the “War on Drugs” campaign on television, but not really understanding what it was about or how it would impact my daily life.  I will freely admit I was a naïve kid and didn’t seek out adventure that would get me into trouble, but I do remember my mother warning my sister and I about accepting stickers (a childhood obsession) from anyone near the school, especially an adult.  I would later understand that there were stickers laced with LSD & PCP that were being given to children.  Fortunately, I never encountered any.

In Middle School, we had an assembly with a nationally known speaker (who was also a presenter at a church youth event I attended) who told horrible stories of people he knew, including members of his family, whose lives were destroyed by drugs.  I remember one in which he said a teen had just gotten high from huffing gasoline, then lit up a cigarette and burst into flames. I was terrified.  I never wanted to do drugs or even smoke.  I will admit that while I have smoked a few cigarettes, I’ve never used anything but prescription drugs.

Before I start sounding magnanimous, part of the reason I made these choices is because I have seen addictive behavior in my family, mostly around alcohol and food. (Yes, food.)  While I wouldn’t classify my immediate relatives as alcoholics, there were tendencies to drink more than advised.  And I have learned that sugar is considered by some as a “gateway” drug because of how it effects the body and mind.  The craving for more and more sugar has become a national epidemic (from my point of view) and invites people to seek other drugs as they get older.

While I was aware of drug and alcohol addiction and the destruction it can cause to people and families, it was all academic knowledge, something to be observed and pitied, but not affected by. That was until my niece became part of the current opioid epidemic. 

This petite blond-haired, blue-eyed girl looked nothing like the stereotypical drug addicts that are shown on TV and in movies.  She was a good student, a good person, but that did not prevent her from trying drugs from her boyfriend, and it took no time for her to want more and more.  It took about 2 years, 2 overdoses and several rehab stays for her to find her footing again, but she was one of the lucky ones that found the strength to persevere in the face of addition. She is now back in college, having graduated with an Associate’s degree  in May and pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in psychology to become an addiction counselor.  I’m so proud of her.

Her story could have had a very different ending.  I give thank for all those who helped her on her journey and inspired her to make good choices in her life, because only the addict can do that hard and sometimes painful work.  I also give thanks for organizations like Alcoholics Anonymous and Heroin/Narcotics Anonymous that invite addicts to journey together in their recovery efforts.

St. Barnabas has been a supporter of these recovery ministries for many years, and we currently host 4 meetings each week.  In honor and support of all of those who have taken that first brave step to come to a meeting, we are offering a Recovery Sunday service this week.  We will be using grape juice for Communion to invite all who wish to participate open access to the Sacrament.  Our deacon, Cathy Brunson, who is a recovering alcoholic, will be offering the sermon.

For all of you who have been touch or affected by addiction, I encourage you to come and bring those burdens to God’s altar, celebrating those who are in recovery and prayer for those who are still lost and without hope.  With God’s unfailing strength and love and our awareness and willingness to confront this evil, we can bring addiction to its knees.

In Christ,

Rev. Valerie+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give God the Glory

A Christmas Poem

A Sloppy Track