Blinded by the Light

I am one of those annoying people who love snow.  There is a Sunday Peanuts cartoon (i.e. full-color!) on my refrigerator showing Snoopy doing his happy dance and exclaiming “It’s snowing!”  That is an outward expression of my inward joy when it snows.  Granted, I don’t have to shovel it – save for cleaning off my car – and usually I am observing it from the comfort of my warm living room (sometimes even with a cup of hot chocolate), so my experience is skewed, but I still claim my love of snow.

Part of this can be attributed to the fact that we (and by that, I mean the immediate community) has to slow down, even stop, because of something we have no control over.  The regular hustle and bustle just stops for reasons of safety.  During last week’s snow storm, I received numerous text updates from the local police saying that if you didn’t need to drive, don’t!  I didn’t, so I got to observe and enjoy.

I did offer prayers for all those who did have to go out into that horrible weather – health care workers and support staff, emergency responders and their support, anyone connected to transportation, and those who were told they had to come to work by unreasonable bosses or companies.  I can understand why those individuals don’t like snow (or any weather that impedes daily life).

I am still drawn to the quiet that snow brings, even in the midst of blustery winds and white-out conditions.  And when the snow stops, there is usually a small window of time when everything is quiet, and we can just be for a moment – be still and know God is.  God is I AM.

Sadly, the moment passes all too quickly and our doing takes over our being.  The necessities of life overwhelm our desire to be still and know God.  Thankfully, God is still present in so many ways, if we only take a moment to notice.

Another reason I love snow is the day (or so) after the storm.  Just like with most violent weather, there is a calm after the storm.  This storm unfortunately came with bitterly cold temperatures on its heels, so we might not have noticed it this time, but usually the sun comes out the next day in a brilliant blue sky without a single cloud.  I love looking at the bare trees that look like crystal chandeliers sparkling in the sun. The sun reflecting off the snow and ice can be blinding.  In the middle of winter, light bursts forth in all directions, reminding us that the darkness will not and cannot overcome the light, even on the longest of nights.

I give thanks for living in the Northeast of the United States at this time of year because we get a reasonable amount of snow that offers this great light show during the Church Season of Epiphany, the Season of Light.  Granted, the Southern Hemisphere is enjoying the long days of summer right now, but I’ll take the snow and its light show to live into the glorious reflection of Christ’s incarnation as the light to the world. 

No matter what storms we face in our lives, when we choose to follow Jesus Christ, the Son will shine light into our world, should we let him.  I do believe we have the choice of allowing Christ’s light to guide us or getting stuck in the storm.  Some choose to give in or find a false escape in drugs like alcohol or heroin.  Those of us who choose the light know that it is not easy, there is still a much work we need to do, but we know we are not alone in doing it.  God and the community of the Church is right there with us, doing and BEING.

For 2018, consider making a goal of being so filled with God’s light and love that it will be blinding to others, although in a good way!  Share that light as much as possible, especially with those who seem lost or broken.  We are the light of Christ in the world.  Especially in (snow) storms.

In Christ,

Rev. Valerie+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give God the Glory

A Christmas Poem

A Sloppy Track