THUG - The Hate U Give


It is probably not a surprise that I don’t listen to rap or hip-hop music.  (Of course, I also don’t listen to country or punk music, so don’t judge my musical tastes to harshly.)  Because of my limited knowledge and exposure to hip-hop, I don’t know much about the artists and musicians of the genre, expect for some big names like Will Smith, Run-D.M.C., & TLC.  I am sure I heard the name Tupac Shakur, but I couldn’t tell you any songs he sang.  However, I recently found out he was 2 years older than I and was killed 2 days after my birthday in 1996 at the age of 25. 

I don’t recall if I heard much about Tupac’s death when it happened.  I realize now what a tragic loss his death was, mostly after reading Angie Thomas’ novel The Hate U Give. In the book, the character Khalil explains that Tupac’s motto “THUG LIFE” is an acronym meaning, “the hate you give little infants f**ks everyone.”  Yes, the language is crude, but the message is painfully true – the cruelty people inflict on others, especially the young, infects the next generation and engenders more violence. Tupac made it his mission to preach about justice and peaceful resolutions rather than hate and violence.  I grieve for the loss of a man I never knew or understood during his life, especially because his voice would have been helpful in the current racial climate.

As with most good books, The Hate U Give is now a motion picture, which I went to see.  I was honored that Ava Foster went with me to share in an experience that was painful and hopeful.  I do encourage everyone to see it – as soon as possible as it probably won’t be in the theaters long.  Even if you have read the book, you should see the movie.  I had a more visceral reaction to the violence because that can be toned down in my mind. It was stark on the big screen.

The story focuses on Starr Carter, a sixteen-year-old girl who witnesses the death of her friend Khalil in an officer-involved shooting.  The story explores the hate that that event provokes in many different ways within Starr’s life and community, including that she is considered a “snitch” by the head of a powerful gang.  There are many different manifestations of bias and discrimination in the story that we can all relate to in different ways.

I continue to be grateful for the mission and work of the Ministry of Racial Diversity to create a brave space to talk openly and honestly about issues of racism, ethnic identity and cultural understanding.  Too often I fear conversations about racism are shut down because it is uncomfortable to discuss.  No one wants to think they are racist because we associate that with blatant cruelty and hateful intentions.  I don’t believe anyone at St. Barnabas is a racist, but we do all have biases.  How we react and respond to those biases can help us change our behaviors that encourage love for all our neighbors.  Learning more about someone very different from ourselves – like how I learned about Tupac – can open our minds and hearts to change how we consider situations and response to people.
Let us continue to have these conversations, to be brave and explore our own parts in a system that was created centuries ago and still effects all of our lives today.  Only then can we effect change that will stop “THUG LIFE.”

In Christ,
Rev. Valerie+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give God the Glory

A Christmas Poem

A Sloppy Track