Advent Word

Rather than go through a litany of Advent resources for you this year, I am focusing on one – Advent Word (www.Adventword.org or www.facebook.com/StBarnabas-sbnj.org), which Steve Welch mentioned during announcements last Sunday.  For the 24 days of Advent this year, there is one word offered to reflect upon as we prepare our hearts and minds for Christ’s coming.  So far the words offered have been: Journey, Focus, Watch, Night.  Many people are posting their reflections on these words.  You can find them by searching on #Journey, #Watch, etc., or just spend 5 minutes on your own and consider that word for yourself.  

Today (December 5th) would have been my maternal grandmother’s 105th birthday.  I never knew my paternal grandmother, so my mom’s mom was the example I had of a what a grandmother was.  She was a petite woman who suffered a stroke before I was born.  She seemed perfectly normal to me, but I was told her sparkle was about 93% of what it was before she had a stroke.  As a grandmother should (haha), she was an awesome cook and baker.  She was also great at sewing and word puzzles; she had mad Scrabble skills! 

When I first saw today’s Advent word Night, it did not immediately spark my memory of my grandmother, but then I started to reflect.  To me, #Night is comforting, a time for renewal and rest.  Many of my memories of my grandmother are also about times of renewal and rest, times of peace and love of family. 

When I was growing up, we would go visit my grandparents in Livingston for dinner (a nighttime activity).  I have vivid memories, especially in the colder months, of being very cozy in their house and knowing that the kitchen would smell wonderful when we came inside.  We went camping with my grandparents for many years and my sister and I would spend the night sleeping over in their motor home, which seemed luxurious compared to our pop-up trailer.  We would also spend hours in front of the camp fire enjoying the smell and time together.

As I think about it, I know my love of crossword puzzles and other word games (Words with Friends!) come from my grandmother, and I often do those activities at night when I have more time. 

My grandmother had a quiet and persistent faith.  She didn’t seem to question much, save for why her only child died before she did.  My heart ached for her because that was not a pain I could relieve or account for.  I know that was her dark night of the soul, but she persevered and hoped to be reunited with her daughter again – which she was just 6 months later.  

I am grateful that #Night allowed me to meander through memories of my grandmother, reminding me of things I’d forgotten.  I pray that as you reflect on these words you will find surprising connections and an opportunity to find love, peace, and even some healing along the way.

May you have a blessed Advent Journey.

In Christ,
Rev. Valerie+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sloppy Track

A Christmas Poem

The Prayer Chain and the Prayers of the People