God be with you, Deacon Cathy


The ministry of the deaconate is a labor of love.  Most deacons are not compensated much for the ministry they offer both in and out of the Church.  Their directive is, “to bring the World to the Church and the Church to the World,” being that vital bridge between the cares and concerns of the world and the (sometimes inward looking) Church.  I have been blessed in my vocation to share the ministry with several dynamic deacons, including The Rev. Cathy Brunson.

Deacon Cathy has faithfully served St. Barnabas for over 10 years, serving during the transition of The Rev. Frank Hubbard to me.  It is pro forma for a deacon to take a sabbatical after a new priest arrives to give her a bit of pastoral space with the congregation.  After meeting Cathy and learning about her ministry, I knew I wanted to work with her, and was delighted she decided to return to St. Barnabas after a brief respite in 2011.

We have all benefited from Deacon Cathy’s dedication to Recovery Ministries, both at the parish and diocesan levels.  She is well-known throughout the Diocese of New Jersey and beyond for her passion in encouraging other addicts to find love and support in their continued recovery.  I am in awe of Deacon Cathy’s frankness about her addiction and how God’s grace enables her to make good choices every day. 

This congregation has been blessed many times by Deacon Cathy’s preaching.  I have a quote she used in one of her sermons on my desk about being self-satisfied in various things in life, with the refrain, “Lord, straighten me out.” It is a great remined that we all need God’s loving and persistent presence in our life every day in order to stay on the straight and narrow path. 

I also enjoy teasing Cathy about some of her quirks, like the fact that she is always cold.  She fills the cruet we use to wash our hands with very hot water before the service so that by the time we get to the Eucharist it is reasonably warm.  I do miss that on really cold winter mornings when the water is ice cold because Cathy wasn’t here to replace it. 

Several times Cathy and I have shared a room at Clergy Conference.  She likes the room hot while wearing flannel pjs.  Meanwhile I’m sweating in shorts and a t-shirt!  She LOVES watching Chopped! and other cooking shows on the Food Network that just make me hungry!  She gets up around 4 AM (Lord, save us) every morning, even now after she retired from J &J!

Cathy has been a personal blessing to me through her selfless help when I had a medical procedure at the hospital.  She drove me there, waited and prayed with me, and then brought me home. She has taken me to the airport many times, happy to be of service.

Deacon Cathy has discerned that it is time for her to “return home” to St. Albans, New Brunswick.  She will continue to support Christ Church, New Brunswick as well, and I am sure her ministry will benefit both congregations, just as she has blessed us.  We are eternally grateful for all she has taught and shown us. She will continue to be available for Recovery Sunday support in the future. 

We will celebrate Deacon Cathy’s ministry at St. Barnabas on Sunday, June 23rd.  She will preach during the services and we will have time to give thanks for her following bother services.  So please join us at wish her well and say, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

In Christ’s Love,
Rev. Valerie+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give God the Glory

A Christmas Poem

A Sloppy Track