Teach Them How to Say Goodbye


I love the musical “Hamilton.”  Like Stephen Sondheim, Lin-Manuel Miranda was able to tell an intricate, interesting story using rhyme, alliteration and witty turns of phrase.  Not only does the story re-introduce a pivotal person from the American Revolution, but it also does so in a “catchy” way that allows the listener to remember what was said and the lessons learned from the adventures and misadventures.

Alexander Hamilton was himself a brilliant writer, which George Washington recognized and used for his own benefit, both when he served as a General and as our first President.  In the musical, there is a song dedicated to the critical juncture of when Washington wanted to step away from being President and hand that power and authority over to the next elected person.  Doing this well was vitally important for this new country and form of government because it had never been done before!  Hamilton didn’t want Washington to leave, but Washington was insistent.  The song “One Last Time” recounts this event.  Washington sings:
If I say goodbye, the nation learns to move on
It outlives me when I'm gone
Like the scripture says:
"Everyone shall sit under their own vine and fig tree
And no one shall make them afraid."
They'll be safe in the nation we've made
I wanna sit under my own vine and fig tree
A moment alone in the shade
At home in this nation we've made
One last time

The song goes on to cite Washington’s Farewell Address (that Hamilton helped write) that said:
“Though, in reviewing the incidents of my administration, I am unconscious of intentional error, I am nevertheless too sensible of my defects not to think it probable that I may have committed many errors. I shall also carry with me the hope that my country will view them with indulgence and that after forty-five years of my life dedicated to its service with an upright zeal the faults of incompetent abilities will be consigned to oblivion, as I myself must soon be to the mansions of rest I anticipate with pleasing expectation that retreat in which I promise myself to realize the sweet enjoyment of partaking, in the midst of my fellow-citizens, the benign influence of good laws under a free government, the ever-favorite object of my heart, and the happy reward, as I trust of our mutual cares, labors, and dangers.”

I, too, am unaware of any intentional errors during our time together, but I know my faults well enough that I know I have erred – and you all have been gracious enough to forgive me, for which I am grateful. It is difficult to say “goodbye,” but, like Washington, I know that I do not leave you alone or comfortless.  The Holy Spirit continues to be ever present, Deacon Chizoba is a gifted pastor, the Vestry is prepared and diligent, and the Diocesan leadership will support you during this transition.  You have done it before – you can do it again.

Humans are creatures of habit.  We like things to stay the same, but the only real constant in life is change.  The true test of any good system is to see how it handles itself through change, just as Washington noted.  If we have done well, the Church will continue and thrive in whatever is next.  I trust that what we have done together has deepened our commit to God and love of one another. 

It is still hard to say goodbye. You all have part of my heart and I thank you for loving me as well.  We honor each other by continuing to share that love and God’s love for us.  Life will change but not end.  And I leave you safely in the palm of God’s hand. 

In Christ’s Love,
Rev. Valerie+

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Give God the Glory

A Christmas Poem

A Sloppy Track